Elliptical trainers (stationary exercise machines that simulate walking, running or stair climbing without causing joints over pressure, and reducing impact injuries risks) and treadmills (stationary running or walking devices) represent two of the most popular fitness / exercise equipment categories, which also stand as excellent aerobic workout indoor tools. Although treadmills are considered more well-known, ellipticals have recently become very popular, and that is for sure. Of course, both of them have their advantages and disadvantages, but, taken in general, both can easily contribute to an effective aerobic workout. In fact, when you stand a choice of choosing an elliptical or a treadmill, you must first determine your primary fitness goals.
Elliptical vs. Treadmill: Quick Comparison
Elliptical trainers have surpassed treadmills in popularity, mainly due to their ability to add variety to your workout. It has many pluses over a treadmill, but if you are a dedicated runner, a quality treadmill provides a better training experience, especially if running is your major aerobic fitness activity, and you are training for a 5K or 10K marathon. However, elliptical machines may still be advantageous over a quality treadmill, as they offer the following:
- a workout with no impact on the ground;
- total body workout (treadmills focus mainly on your lower body);
- maximum efficient cardiovascular workout;
- smooth & continuous controlled motion;
- an impressive range of hip extension, hip flexion, and knee motion;
- movable upper body handles (allows to work your arms and legs);
- forward & reversible foot pedal motion (allows to work your hamstring and calf muscles);
- less stress on your back, knees and hips;
- minimization of knee injuries aggravation;
- no overloading injuries;
- excellent post-rehab fitness machine (best choice for senior sportsman);
If you have made your choice towards an elliptical trainer, you should remember that it is not a miracle machine, but rather a machine capable to make you look great, as long as you maintain a good posture for exercising, which stands for the workout's effectiveness . Always keep your head up (never look down at your feet), shoulders back (do not lean on the handles), and abdominal muscles tight. Elliptical trainer is a far more beneficial choice, as it supports total body workout, and is considered the best fitness equipment technology currently available on the market.
Keeping all this mentioned in your mind, remember however, that you can achieve the best results in training not only thanks to the best equipment but your will, persistence and strength of your character.